Blomqvist Gallery. Oslo

Konrad Mägi arrived in Norway in the summer of 1908 and stayed there until the autumn of 1910. It is precisely in Norway that Mägi started painting intensely, creating mostly small-format landscape paintings, but also portraits. By now, we know of tens of works that Mägi completed in Norway, yet it is speculated that he could have painted more than a hundred works while he was there. Magi lived in Oslo and undertook painting expeditions in the vicinity of Oslo. Yet in the summer of 1909, he lived in the region of Eidskog not far from Oslo.
 
 
A joint exhibition of works by Konrad Mägi, Christian Krohg and Leon Aurdal was opened at the Blomqvist Gallery in Oslo in 1910 at the start of May. The initiative for the exhibition apparently derived from Christian Krohg, a recognised Norwegian painter and the first professor of the Norwegian Academy of Art, who had cursorily come into contact with Mägi in Paris in 1907 or 1908 when he briefly taught Mägi at the Colarossi Academy. Mägi participated in the exhibition with 22 works. The Blomqvist Gallery was a striking exhibition space. A large exhibition of European avant garde works had been held there in 1908 (among others, works by Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, Max Pechstein and others were on display there). A brief review appeared in Aftenposten , Norway’s largest daily newspaper, where the richness of colour in Mägi’s works was highlighted.